View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-17, 06:05

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm actually surprised she was able to gag down the pasta, after 15 years LC. I know that personally, after not quite that long LC, I can't stand the tasteless taste of pasta or bread - might as well eat cardboard or styrofoam, for all the flavor it has.

Oh but it seems she wasn't truly LC all that time:
Quote:
For years I denied myself anything approaching “comfort food” and never ate the kids’ leftover fries. Very occasionally I would eat a single thin slice of sourdough toast for breakfast. I sometimes missed spaghetti bolognese so much I would eat the sauce with spiralised courgette.

Considering that most sourdough breads are bigger than most regular breads (much broader loaves), that single thin slice of sourdough bread was probably enough to put her out of ketosis repeatedly during those 15 years. No wonder she was craving spaghetti. I'm not sure what the problem is with spiralized courgette (zucchini) - a lot of us have been doing that for years. If she wanted, she could have had bolognaise sauce over "squashta" every day of those 15 years - who needs pasta?

Quote:
Once it was finished I felt a bit sad that there was no more, which is often the problem with pasta, but I thought about it and decided that, no, that was probably enough dinner. The next morning I didn’t weigh 400 stone. We had it again the next week, and the next. I did not put on weight.

That will sound absurd to anyone with a normal approach to food, but true carb-phobics will understand. Pasta had become to me the Devil’s doing. I believed that, once eaten, one strand would metabolise directly into neat sugar and turn me into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Honestly, I think she's more than a bit obsessive - acting like a single very small meal of pasta would suddenly make her gain to 400 stone (5,600 lbs), and that a single strand of pasta would turn her into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

She's right in that for her, it was never about health, or keeping her blood sugar on an even keel, with that kind of grossly over exaggerated concept of how carb consumption affects the body. For her, it was always purely about weight.

But notice that they also didn't eat these small servings of pasta daily - they had them once a week. If their weekly pasta indulgence didn't cause her to crave more and more carbs on a daily basis, then she's not someone who could never control her carb consumption to begin with.

Give her some time though - my guess is that the weekly pasta mini-meal will eventually give way to eating the kids' leftover fries, sandwiches on thick slices of bread, 3 different kinds of potatoes at a meal (I've been to England - yes, they often serve potatoes prepared 3 different ways at a single meal!), and pizza.