#13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-18-17, 05:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
For Lyle Alzado, check Bennet Omalu's work on CTE. Personally, I see no plausible mechanism for exogenous steroids to cause disease, because I see no plausible endogenous mechanism, with the caveat that the stuff we inject is the same we naturally produce. On the other hand the whole idea of supplements is probably made more significant by a high-carb diet which otherwise disrupts normal physiology. So, go low-carb, run a super marathon, finish first, break records, etc.

That's an important caveat. "Designer steroids" mimicking natural endogenous substances were all the rage with little awareness of side effects. It's a serious risk. I would add that an overabundance of those things we "naturally" produce introduces a plausible mechanism to wreak havoc with health in general. Even a high-carb diet introduces sugar substances that the human metabolism is equipped to handle in small amounts, but when ingested in large amounts, cause major health issues. Too much of anything tends to trigger unanticipated reactions, since the metabolism interprets different conditions in these cases. Add to that the toxic substances from today's "designer whole grains" and you've got a toxic, high-risk health cocktail.