#10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 21:21
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Annie,

I think I might be able to set you straight if I understand you correctly. If you mean that when you measure 27 pkts of Splenda that you get a total of 1/3 cup of powder I think I know where the issue lies.

Splenda packets and loose Splenda have different sweetening power. The loose Splenda is less sweet than the packets and can be measured in exactly the same way as sugar. So, if you have a recipe that calls for 1/3 C of sugar, you can substitute 1/3 C of loose Splenda for the sugar. However, you can't substitute Splenda packets in exactly the same way, because each Splenda packet has the equivalent sweetening power of 2 tsps of sugar, even though the powder in the packet doesn't equal 2tsps (they add more sucralose to the bulking agents in the packets to make it sweeter). If you read the tiny writing on the back of the packet, it does say 1 packet=2 tsps sugar

Interestingly, I'm a fan of that LC peanut butter cup recipe myself (boy, are they good) and I always add more Splenda than the original recipe calls for, I tend to wing it and go by taste, but I'd be willing to bet I'm adding close to 27 packets myself. I guess you and I just have sweeter teeth than the person who created that recipe.