Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 13:11
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknwing
the truth is that marketing is in most ways more influential than a parent can ever be....its everywhere from the tv we watch to the interenet we access to the streets we walk and it WORKS!! Parents need some support from the companies that take there money. Especially if your a single parent...if you work 18 hour days with two jobs how in the world are you going to know that your kids are eating the way they should be...yea in an ideal world...parenting should have the most influence over the children in the household but the reality is that for most households this is just not the case; no matter how hard the parents may try.

This is true. I will concede to that point.

But do you guys really feel like advertising fast food to children is this huge problem? Do you really feel like you are "fighting" Ronald McDonald?

I'd love to solve childhood obesity, but I just think this Mcdonalds thing is an empty gesture. I also think it sets a dangerous precedent when governments decide what is healthy or not. Maybe living an "alternative" eating lifestyle has made me paranoid. I dunno.

I'm also curious what people think will happen? I am fascinated to see what happens in Liverpool with the absense of Happy Meals.

I think we are all debating several different issues at once, so some of this is getting convoluted. There was hinting about about how Mcdonalds should be closed, so that sparked the side debate about government deciding what's good and not good. Then we had the original debate about marketing.

I have a feeling this whole thread is much ado about nothing. It won't make a whit of a difference, I fear. I look forward to finding out.