#43   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/136/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Please don't lecture parents, in particular if you aren't one. However, if parents have a responsibility (and nobody is saying they don't) do you also assign one to marketers, or can they advertise anything they wish to children in your mind?

I am not some leftist, anti-corporate zealot. I'm actually a corporate marketer. But to treat a company, an artificial construct as if it has no responsibilities to the larger community while hectoring parents to "grow a backbone" is asinine.

Kids are influenced by marketing, evne if they are Amish and never see television. While I do my best, I cannot magically remove the marketing from the entire universe. I take care of my child, but I should not have to fight Ronald McDonald to do it.

Grow a spine? Seriously?

Yes, seriously. I have 3 kids, thanks, and I work with delinquent teenagers, so yeah I realize that kids are influenced by advertising, however I also realize that it is my job to set a good example and teach them to make their own choices. My 7 year old and I have conversations all the time how misleading commercials can be, in particular the ones that make every new toy seem AMAZING and like something she has to have RIGHT NOW. She might still want the toy, but she understands that it isn't going to change her life. She also knows that if I her dad and I say no, that's the answer.

I don't claim to be the perfect parent, no one is. Like I said before, my kids do get fast food on occasion. They would probably eat it every day if we would let them, but we don't. I don't think it's asinine to expect parents to take responsibility and think for themselves instead of blaming advertising and corporations for the way they choose to spend their money.

I want my kids to be healthy and happy, as I'm sure we all do. I do my best too, but I really don't feel as if I am fighting with Ronald McDonald.