Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 12:55
neverwhere

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Please don't lecture parents, in particular if you aren't one. However, if parents have a responsibility (and nobody is saying they don't) do you also assign one to marketers, or can they advertise anything they wish to children in your mind?

I am not some leftist, anti-corporate zealot. I'm actually a corporate marketer. But to treat a company, an artificial construct as if it has no responsibilities to the larger community while hectoring parents to "grow a backbone" is asinine.

Kids are influenced by marketing, evne if they are Amish and never see television. While I do my best, I cannot magically remove the marketing from the entire universe. I take care of my child, but I should not have to fight Ronald McDonald to do it.

Grow a spine? Seriously?

I dont get it though. Why do you think you have to fight Ronald McDOnald?Why cant you just teach your children to just say no? Please, dont take it personal, I am not attacking your parenting skills. I am just trying to figure out why everyone is so scared of "marketing" reaching their children.

Yes, marketing is powerful. You especially must know that. But isn't the teaching and examples you set for your children in the long run much more powerful than some dumb commercials? I know better than to believe commercials for debt solutions or ambulance chaser lawyers you see on daytime tv, for example. I was raised to know better than to follow what you see blindly.

You need to give your children a little more credit. So WHAT if they are enticed by the commercial? You teach them NO.

I dont care how many times you see that clown, if you dont bring your children there, they dont get to eat it. They cant crave or miss something they dont get.

Not everything sold at Mcdonalds is crap food anyway. Is it the best food? No, of course not. But to compare marketing Mcdonalds to selling alchohol or guns is just not the same to me.

Maybe because it's food, I feel differently. And maybe that is wrong. I just don't believe taking away people's choices are the right way to go about things.

Daisy said: By choosing not to patronize them, if they don't like it. That would be far more effective than a law against throwing a toy in the box. McDonald's would voluntarily give up the Happy Meal if it wasn't a good seller.

I agree. I mean no offense to anyone, I just think that people are fooling themselves if they think banning the clown is going to solve the issues. That doesnt even scratch the surface.