#38   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 12:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisymaiz
They should grow a backbone and stop blaming others, because if it's not a giant corporation it will be something else. How many kids try to get their way (on anything, not just food choices) by saying "but all my friends do it....?" A lot. Some parents give in and some parents don't, big corporation or not.

Please don't lecture parents, in particular if you aren't one. However, if parents have a responsibility (and nobody is saying they don't) do you also assign one to marketers, or can they advertise anything they wish to children in your mind?

I am not some leftist, anti-corporate zealot. I'm actually a corporate marketer. But to treat a company, an artificial construct as if it has no responsibilities to the larger community while hectoring parents to "grow a backbone" is asinine.

Kids are influenced by marketing, evne if they are Amish and never see television. While I do my best, I cannot magically remove the marketing from the entire universe. I take care of my child, but I should not have to fight Ronald McDonald to do it.

Grow a spine? Seriously?