View Single Post
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 08:54

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
I went again this weekend and even laid out in the sun on the beach a bit (naughty!)

Not NAUGHTY....HEALTHY!!! Vitamin D deficiency is quite common in overweight people. You NEED your vitamin D! If you are low carbing, you wont be depleting your body of vitamin C, which is what your body uses to repair sun damage. Carbs also destroy collagen. So low carbing plus sun will not make you look like old shoe leather.

In Australia, they had a big nation campaign to get people to use sun screen and avoid sun exposure. The campaign was very successful....and cancer rates WENT UP!!! Vitamin D actually protects your body from several different types of cancer while avoiding the sun does not.

If you have been avoiding the sun, start taking vitamin D3 (2000 IU - 4000 IU) to build up your blood levels before you try sun exposure. This will prevent you from bursting in to flames Your doctor can check the blood levels, or, if you don't have insurance, there are online labs where you can send a blood sample to have it tested.

So GO GET SOME SUN, use a block (like clear zinc) instead of a sun screen if you are going to be outside for hours at a time. Otherwise wear protective clothing AFTER you get a good 15 minutes - 30 minutes of daily mid day sun exposure.