View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

I don't know from experience how successful they would be if you replaced part/all of the protein powder with almond flour, which lacks the sticky, gooey quality of whey protein, but I'm not optimistic. The "breadiness" of these comes from the protein/egg combo, and I'm afraid that if you dumped the whey, you'd just wind up with scrambled eggs with little gritty bits. I've never tried doing that, but I've done a lot of baking with protein powder and almond flour, and generally they are not interchangeable. Remember, almond "flour" is really not flour in the chemical sense, it's just very finely ground nuts. It provides body in baked goods, but doesn't produce any kind of chemical interaction with protein and fat in the same way that white/wheat/oat and other grain flours do. For example, you can't thicken a sauce with it, and baked goods made with it won't rise naturally (you have to use baking powder, egg foams, or other tricks like that).

To sum up, I'd stick with whey, which is not too difficult to come by -- Designer Whey is my preferred brand, and it's available at pretty much every health/nutrition store I've ever seen (GNC, Smoothie King, etc) or online. It's useful stuff to have around, since it is a VERY popular ingredient in LC baking.