#1057   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-13, 13:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily1
The Fruitarian community strongly disagrees with that lol, on their sites they claim we don't really need protein, same way people in the LC circles claim we don't really need carbs. There are many who lived their life on fruit and perhaps other vegan carbs as well (no grains or brans etc)

I personally don't think we will perish without protein, I do better on protein, but don't think I will perish if I don't eat it.

I was actually thinking about this earlier, looking at LoveMagnet's protein intake. I see a lot of arguments that we need "extra protein" on a low carb diet, to preserve lean mass etc. But... if we really need only 30 grams of glucose a day, and half of that can come from glycerol, then how much do we really need? In total starvation, I've seen studies where protein loss was only about seven percent of calories after about three weeks. And children on the ketogenic diet manage to be in positive nitrogen balance (grow) with a pretty low protein percentage (but kids can eat a lot of food).

Not sure what my point is. Maybe I just like hearing myself talk today.

Oh yeah, the fruitarians. Some long-term fruitarians really look like they're wasting away--but I'm amazed at how long this seems to take. (I tend to believe these guy's claimed diets precisely because they're wasting away).