Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 11:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Nice thread!

What everyone else said, plus a few more things that were important for me:

- Do lots of reading, as long as you're not prone to information overload. I wanted to suck up every iota of information on low carb eating as I could find. I joined this forum before I started, and read several books. Wanting to learn still fuels my success. I find it motivating to follow the LC bloggers such as Dr Kurt Harris, Petro Dobromylskyj (DVM), and Dr Eades (of Protein Power fame.) There are many others. Use Google Reader and you'll find them.

- I didn't approach this with a "just tell me what I have to eat" attitude; rather, I genuinely wanted to understand what's so wrong with the standard diet, and the consequences that I will face if I go back to my old eating habits. Having at least some background on the science will help keep you on the straight and narrow.

- Probably the most crucial secret to my success: I learned to cook. I'm with CitrusKiss - it doesn't have to be all that time-consuming if you stick to basic meals, use your crock pot, make large batches, etc. When I started LC, I didn't even know how to boil eggs. My mom rarely cooked and I had no skills. So if I can become a whiz, anyone can!

- Sort of a corollary to the above: shop ahead of time and keep a well-stocked kitchen. Keep lots of fully cooked foods ready to go in the freezer, and quickly-preparable foods in the pantry such as canned fish and veggies.

- Be prepared to make more changes than just what you put in your mouth. You might have to adjust your budget, how you spend your spare time, social situations, and even the vibe within your family can change.

(More)

All the best to our 2010 newbies!