View Single Post
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 09:38

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

JD, it sounds like what you are doing is very close to TSP. TSP encourages whole foods (especially organic) and allows for somewhat more carbs than other plans. Dr. S. devised her plan while working initially with diabetics.

On TSP I eat lots and lots of vegetables. Others have starchier foods like high-fibre, low-carb bread and fruit (I don't like fruit). I enjoy the occassional avocado or artichoke for my starchy vegetables. Fruit is perfectly reasonable to have on TSP -- it's not a "cheat."

Basically, TSP makes a distinction between starchy vegetables (like avocados and artichokes) and non-starchy vegetables (like broccoli and cauliflower) and carbs in other foods like dairy foods and grains. We don't "count" the carbs in non-starchy vegetables, only the carbs found in starchy vegetables and other foods. At the lowest amount (for an inactive, overweight individual), we are "allowed" 15 grams of carb per main meal and 7.5 grams of carb per snack. But when you don't count non-starchies, that can add up quite a bit, so we are also told that if we are eating a lot of non-starchies we don't "have" to have the starchy and other carbs.

My description sounds a little convoluted, but the book makes it pretty simple, including carb lists of starchy veges, non-starchy veges and other foods.

The book is a good read even if you don't decide to follow the program. What I like best about the program is that I can cook real food. I tend to favor one-pot dishes and make things like Chicken with Chinese Long-Beans and Black Bean Sauce, Beef Stroganoff (without the rice or noodles), Chicken Fricassee, etc.

Hope this helps.

;-Deb