#1   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 06:32
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%
Default Carb addicts like alcoholics-then here are some tips from one

I have seen the carb addict is like an alcoholic analogy used on these forums several times. Since I actually am an alcoholic, I thought I might share some things that have helped keep me sober for 14 1/2 years that can be adapted to carb addiction. Perhaps subconsciously I am using these things to help me low carb as well. Where I use the word drink or alcohol just substitute bad carbs.

1. When I was newly sober (and even now) I could not think of not drinking for the rest of my life (double negative-sue me). The prospect was scary and daunting. Instead I made a decision EVERY morning, and still do, not to take a drink that day. One day at a time was all I could handle. There were certainly days where even one day was too much, so I would break it down into smaller increments. I would tell myself that I just wouldn't drink for the next half hour (or sometimes 10 minutes)-I could have a drink then. Then after that half hour, I would push it back another half hour. Eventually, I would have a whole day down without a drink.

2. I had a sponsor. Someone who had been sober at least a year who could talk me through a bad time and give me the benefit of her experience. I use this forum as a giant sponsor. I also have family members who low carb and have been successful. It is extremely helpful to have a person who knows you to give you feedback, cheer you on and kick you in the butt when you need it. I also called her when I wanted to drink. Instead of picking up a bottle, I picked up the phone. Now, I log onto here instead of eating crap.

3. I had no alcohol in the house! Seems simple, huh? In order to drink I would have to leave the house and go out and buy some. By the time all that would happen, I could either call my sponsor or talk myself out of it by using Number 1 or the following.

4. Think through the drink. This was a very helpful tool. I would think myself through taking a drink and all the effects it would cause. I knew I was not going to stop at one-so I would think about how I felt when I drank, how it affected me, what the consequences would be and how awful I felt after I did it. I knew I didn't want that-no drink tasted good enough for all the crap it caused.

5. Ate something legal. Part of the alcohol addiction is an addiction to sugar-Surprise! Sometimes eating something sweet helped. Since that is no longer an option for me, when I want carbs, I eat something high in fat or protein. I know that for me, I only really crave carbs when I am too hungry. Then, I want french fries. As soon as I eat a low carb meal or snack that craving goes away.

6. Prayer or meditation. Since I am a pretty devout agnostic, this was probably the hardest for me. But I was taught that all I had to have was a power greater than myself that I could turn things over to. I could deal with that. I actually had a box that I would dump stuff into. I would write down my immediate issue, say wanting french fries-and then put that in the box. Once it went it there, it was no longer mine and now belonged to my Higher Power to deal with. I wasn't allowed to take stuff out of the box! Turning things over is hard, as I try to take things back all the time. It is a continual process for me.

Those are probably the main things that have helped me over the years.
Sponsored Links