View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 11:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 300/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hello, cave people!

I know this is not the right place to introduce myself, but I was so excited to see a thread to discuss one of my favorite books of all time that I jumped right in and registered and here I am!

While I agree with the authors' main ideas, I have a few nitpicky things about the book that bothered me. For example, here in the temperate zone (I'm in the American midwest), the longest days are centered around the equinox in late June, but most of the fruit is ripe in late summer when the days are starting to shorten. This doesn't negate the main thrust of the book, but I wonder what the rest of you think about this?

Have any of you thought about how these ideas apply to other parts of the world, such as the Arctic, or the tropics?

A disappointment in the book is the fact that the authors did not discuss how they implement the long sleep/darkness times of winter in their own lives. How did their marriages/family relationships/ jobs fare when they started to live this way? Did they start to live this way, or did it remain theory for them?

It is two winters since I read this book. I live with husband and three children, all of whom are night owls. We are homeschoolers and hubby has flextime, so we have had a very late-night/sleep-in kind of schedule for the whole family. It made big waves when I started to go to bed at 9pm!

I must say that they were all very good and supportive, and respected my reasons for doing it, even though they were not convinced to do it themselves. Still, as a mother it seemed wrong to go to bed before my children (2 years ago youngest was 7). As a wife, it seemed unfair to leave dh with all the bedtime routines. Without his support I couldn't have done it at all.

I would love to hear from those of you who are following this way of living. For those just reading the book for the first time, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere you have about a month before time to start turning in early. Are you going to try it? What potential problems/solutions have you already thought about?

That's enough for now! Thanks for letting me jump in on this discussion. It will be a pleasure to get to know you.

Daylily