Old Mon, Aug-14-06, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Your Eating Plan

Hi Stace,

The eating plan/menus you created sound good to me. (True confession: It's my wife who really keeps track of the details when it comes to all of this stuff. I basically eat what she puts on my plate. So I'm not really "qualified" to give you a truly accurate response. ) Just looking it over, though, I don't see anything out of the ordinary. As to cutting back carbs to only 15 - I wouldn't do it. The energy level you must have to get through your day demands more carbs!

Okay, you've heard what I'm about to say before (and you'll likely hear me say it a lot). Stress-related diseases are the biggest killers of people on the planet, and they work their damage with equal vigor on male and female, and the old and the young. There are some "red flags" that pop up in what you're saying, and I want to make sure you hear them...

Quote:
With regards to my long days...yup theres not much that can be done about that im afraid. I have soooo much work to do every day.. I have placements at hosptials monday and tuesdays, classes wed and fridays, thursdays I tutor all day and sat usually placement...often form 2-11pm at night. and some how have to fit in writing my thesis, course work papers and presentations due nearly every week, and oh I forgot about sleep, let along exercise.

Stace, there's always something that can be done. Our bodies were only intended to endure short bursts of high stress (running away from preditors, etc.) - not continuous stress, day after day. Pushing the envelope to get through a week of tests is one thing; doing it as a career will make for a short career. If you'd like to live to enjoy your life, carve out little pieces of each day for yourself (I know, I know: It's impossible. Do it anyway) . If you can't do anything else, take a 3-minute bathroom break once an hour. Once you're in there, close your eyes and clear your mind. Chill!!

One of the reasons I suggested that you re-read the TSP books is to remind yourself that Dr. S suggests getting control over your stress only second to controlling the food you fuel your body with. She's well aware that stress not only takes us down, but that it's a real killer.

Quote:
I trying really hard to not stress and get down time but it soooooo hard because i just have so much do and really do feel like crying about it.

I hope you hear what you're saying here. Sounds to me like someone on the edge...

Quote:
The course is just a massive high stress job and the placements are even more stressful because you are working with severly acute mentally ill people...the day just never ends and only does when I decide im too exhausted to write anymore.

So stop writing sooner!

Okay, one more thing and the "lecture" is over: When we say we don't have control over our schedules, we're lying to ourselves. I could look you straight in the eye and tell you I was just too busy to exercise, or had zero time to give myself a break. But if a man suddenly jumped out of the closet and held a gun to my head, demanding me to find 30 minutes a day for stress relief or he'd blow my brains out.... I'd find the time. And the thing is, that's exactly what stress is - a bully that enables us to lie to ourselves, but has the power to kill.

Oh, yeah. There is one more thing:

Quote:
stress management - poor, im a total stress head and thrive being stressed

At the risk of offending you, No - you don't thrive on stress. You rob your body's reserves for the energy you need to perform at the level you think you need to be at. But you're not thriving at all - you're striving, and draining your body of its ability to fight the diseases that will be brought on by continuous stress.

Hope I haven't been too hard on you. I've "been there" and "done that" and whenever I see someone heading down the same (dead end) road, I can't keep still.

Blessings,

-Don