#8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 11:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Only one answer I can think of; Reduce stress. Much stress comes from personalizing things that are in no way personal - but we can take them that way.

Let the mosquito bite; let the mosquito fly away. Do not interfere, watch how your mind works

And so ... how do we find that mindset?

Robyn, I've been working on this stress eating (and no after dinner eating, and eating that is meal-based, rather than snacking, etc etc) all year. In bits and pieces. What I can add to the good suggestions here (eat enough fat for satiety, stay as low carb as possible, and if you must stress-eat, eat OP foods; reduce stress; keep focussed on the health and weightloss markers; meditate on your mindset and beliefs) is this last thing...

maybe try to notice the "pre-stress" moments, the times when you are dealing and coping well but getting a little ramped up and then, at that early stage, take a break. Stop. Do a 3 - 5 min breathing exercise. mentally step aside, or inward, to a calm, loving place for yourself. go for a 10 min walk. drink a glass of water. And do one thing that is a comfort to you (for me it is a cup of tea with cream, or a short chat / text with a friend.)

(At a holiday gathering, this could be going to the bathroom to be on your own for a few minutes. Or letting people assume that is what you have done, and stepping out onto the porch and breathing some cool fresh air.)

What i have noticed is that those types of things (standard, deal with stress advice) don;t work for me once i let the stress get too high. If I am stressed out, it is too late for those small things. But if i intervene in early stages, i can get a grip - with practice, I can actually feel better.

With practice, those things allow me to get closer to the mindset Thud described.

At first i was so impatient and felt like a 3 min breathing exercise was too much and i didn;t have time. Which, on reflection, made me laugh and have to acknowledge that that reaction was actually the PROOF that i was stressing and that i had to intervene.

Hope this helps.

The holidays can be stressful -- Let's hang onto each other here and focus on enjoying our loved ones AND taking care of ourselves.