#47   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 04:43

Plan: Atkins- whole foods only!
Stats: 240/240/155 Female 1.74m
BF:56%/56%/25%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allena
I've been on Glucophage for about 3 Months. Has anyone experienced any extreme stomach sickness with this medication? It has made me sick at least 1-2 every week for the last 3 months. However it has helped my weight loss significantly, thank G-d. But Be careful with it and don't take it without food!

You might want to watch out for lactic acidosis. It's an extremely serious and sometimes fatal condition. A small number of people who have taken metformin have developed a serious condition called lactic acidosis that has been fatal in up to 50% of cases. Lactic acidosis has occurred most often in people whose kidneys were not working properly. Liver problems may also increase the risk of developing lactic acidosis. Stop taking metformin and call your doctor immediately if you experience a feeling of general discomfort or sickness; weakness; sore or aching muscles; trouble breathing, unusual drowsiness, dizziness or lightheadedness; unusual or unexplained stomach upset (after the initial stomach upset that may occur at the start of therapy with metformin); or the sudden development of a slow or irregular heartbeat. These may be signs of lactic acidosis.

I'm not here to judge but I was quite surprised to see that some people take Glucophage for the sole purpose of losing weight. I have developed Type II diabetes and had to take 6 x 500mg per day for roughly 18 - 22 months. During the last two years I have gained close to 100lbs. Yes, I used to binge eat but I was taking 6 tablets per day and gained 100lbs.

Since starting Atkins I've binned the Glucophage. My blood sugar levels are normal and I have lost 22lbs in one month! I guess what I'm trying to say is that low-carbing alone works great for weight loss I was over the moon when I binned the Glucophage because as with all other medicines there are serious risks involved I was also always under the impression that oral diabetes drugs may increase heart-related mortality. I'm no doctor but if you can lose the weight without taking the tablets (doing low-carbing of course) I think it's best