Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
Ah no, genotype is our personal collection of alleles, our own DNA, and phenotype is only the physical expression of this. There is quite a lot of genotypic variance among different populations of humans, although of course less then between a human and say a chimp or a turtle, its all relative. Some genes are dominant - you only need one allele to have "it", some can express "partial dominance" - like the intermediate mocha skin color of the child of an interracial couple, but many recessive alleles simply don't express at all if the individual is heterozygote - but it is there nevertheless in your genotype, but not your phenotype. Heritability is phenotypic variance measured through genotypic and environmental factors - so yes, families members tend to resemble one another because they share more traits in both ways.

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. I assumed that the genotype and phenotype distinctions was basically a way of identifying variance within species which aren't significant enough to classify as different species all together. So basically genotype is all the information you can pass on, and phenotype is the expressed result.

Thanks for clearing that up . Like I said I am really uninformed on this topic, was just my uneducated opinion... I'm over my head here so I think I'll just read what those who are informed have to say