#4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 14:40

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
We've seen people lower their cholesterol by taking natural thyroid meds in place of synthetic. ...

Ah, it sounds like Nutrimed is a supplement. I wouldn't trust that as a test, especially if you were taking it along with your other medicine. Try switching to Armour thyroid or take some Cytomel.

The only med I take is Metformin for diabetes. My doctor said I was not hypothyroid, even though I've got a lot going on with my thyroid (had an ultrasound and then biopsy that showed nodules, "vesicular lesion", cysts, etc) so he's not likely to prescribe anything. He said the TSH ("normal') is a very sensitive test and when I asked him about T3, he said it can fluctuate greatly in a short period of time so as a test is meaningless.

I tried the Nutrimeds, just to see if I felt better. If I had, I was going to press him for more tests. I know a supplement is not the same as prescribed meds, but the info on the site (which I went to from Stop The Thyroid Madness, btw) owned up to that and said that they were trying to provide for people who were unable to get a scrip but might be helped by their product. My mother sent me an article from her paper where a doc from the Mayo Clinic was railing about the fact that people could get supplements online that contained some actual thyroid hormone; I figured that was probably the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
I remember reading that your calculated LDL goes up when your triglycerides are under 100. It has to do with how the LDL is calculated. So that might be a reason why your LDL increased. Your HDL also increased, so though it might not be at the ideal amount, you seem to headed in the the right direction. ...

You're right about the calculated LDL and triglycerides. I found some great info on Low Carb Friends http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/c...rol-primer.html According to this poster, who appears to have done a lot of research so people like me don't have to:

Quote:
The ideal ratio of Total/HDL is 4.4 for women and 5 for men.... the ratio of your trigs to your HDL will indicate whether your LDL is small and dense (bad - Pattern B) or large and fluffy (neutral - Pattern A). A larger number indicates smaller LDL particles and a smaller number indicates larger LDL particles.

The ideal ratio of Trig/HDL is 2 or below. 4 is high. 6 is "danger!!" This ratio indicates the level of risk for heart disease...

The ideal ratio of LDL to HDL is 4.3 or lower. ...The ratio of LDL to HDL is considered to be a marker of carotid plaque, or how much plaque you have built up in your arteries.

My ratios are pretty much the same using both equations:

Total/HDL: 5.24 (ideal = 4.4 or below)
Trig/HDL: 1.81 (ideal = 2 or below)
LDL/HDL: 3.67 or 3.87 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

So, much less bad than I thought except for my HDL being so low which still a bit of a puzzler as to why it hasn't increased much.

Quote:
Congratulations for losing 80lbs and dropping your A1C levels!! I hope this also means you've beat the cancer.

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with my weight loss effort through the last year I've had. And after all that I went through (surgery, radiation and chemo (for endometrial cancer) I too hope I've beat it!