Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:13

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Later checking the Sunday coupons....

So what crap was in the traditional "French Style Low Fat" yogurt that has been been peddled the past twenty years?

I am not blameless...my DD now 25 loved the Banana Yoplait and most other flavors too...all sugar. Soccer Moms everywhere thought it so healthy!

I thought the Yoplait that's been around all those years was considered to be Swiss style, not French.

The ingredients list is certainly better for the Oui yogurts than for their standard yogurts - whole milk (instead of low fat or fat free), with no added gelatin or starch to thicken or stabilize it so that it maintains the proper texture for a particular product. Sugar content varies of course, depending on if it's the plain, or one of the fruited flavors.

At any rate, that's why it's being cultured right in the little glass pots - if you culture it in a big vat, then transfer it to small containers for sale, the yogurt breaks, and the whey separates, so you need to blend the whey back into it, and add gelatin and/or starch to stabilize it. (or drain off all the whey, leaving Greek yogurt)

I had no idea that made it French yogurt though - I thought it was just real yogurt if you didn't add a bunch of gelatin and starch to stabilize the broken yogurt. Also, a lot of the Swiss style yogurts sold way back when were heated after being cultured (in order to properly dispense and activate the starch and/or gelatin to stabilize it), which of course kills off all the active cultures.

The exciting part about this is that it means that back when I made yogurt regularly, I made French yogurt! Oooh-la-la!