#18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default A bit of a long One

Hi WendyLynn! and Happygrrl

I have been following your thread here as I am interested to know how your daughter is making out. I really suffered with my periods from the onset at around fourteen. I was thinking of typing in my whole long story but I won't just now.
I had not heard of PCOS until a few years ago, I was suprised as I had most of the symptons as well. I know you have probably looked into all the PCOS sites and gotyen some good information ,I just wanted to see if you knew about this one. I recommend it for all women.
http://www.johnleemd.com

The sad news is that I just went to find Dr Lee's site and found that he had passed away suddenly last fall from a heart attack, how tragic and upsetting. He was an outstanding voice for the battle against HRT for women. He advocates natural progesterone and avoiding soy in our diets.
He has a few books out and one is "What your doctor won't tell you about premenopause". Now I realize that is a little premature for your daughter but what he talks about is Estrogen Dominance and its effects. I highly recommend every women to go and check out his site or books. I searched a bit on his site for teenagers but I did not find anything in particular! I know the info can still apply though.
I went on the pill at at around seventeen, still suffered with heavy painful periods (although regular). Ya regular pain! I found out around age twenty eight that the "pill" I was on was the same potency as the one .05 estrogen (I believe) that was causing blood clots and strokes in young women in the sixties and seventies. So I quit cold turkey!
I have a twelve year old daughter myself and I am just not sure what I will suggest she use for birth control, but I sure wish there were a better option than the pill.
I'm not great at expressing myself in type but I would like to hear what you think of Dr. Lee's research.
I also went on Natural Progesterone a few years ago and a few of the things it helped with were, calming me, lessened anxiety, facial hair diminished( especially the long soft down on the sides of my cheeks) My skin smoothed out as well. It was like it helped my feminimity to come back around.
Even do a search for Estrogen Dominance! It has many of the same symptons as PCOS and guess what low-carb is part of the answer.

Look forward to your replies. Kelly