View Single Post
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 09:26

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

I made time this morning to sit down and read this post - as I have always glanced at it and wonder what it was about.

My contribution is this:

Looking back - I started out as a fat kid - my Mom would dress us alike - Mother/Daughter dresses. Anyone remember these?
Until, I ate my way out.....

Somehow along the early tween and teen years, I grew into a beautiful, popular, smart, happy person. I look back at photos and wonder who this person was.

During college, my family was financially wiped out due to a fire where everything was lost - including me. I was pronounced D.O.A. but by some miracle this dr. was able to find some a hint of life and save me. Eventually, life returned to normal for my family and we were back where we were. Except for me.

College was tough for a year after that, mentally, physically and I lost a lot of hope and began the spiral into fatness. I did graduate doubled with majors and went on to getting my double masters and law school. If I was in school now, I could never fit into those chair/desk units!!!!

My weight never was an issue during my career - I looked very nice in clothes and never felt any slights from anyone. I carried it well or I was so dazzling, career wise that no one noticed!! LOL

It was not until my family moved into our current area. I refer to it as the "Stepford Village" - based on the movie, the "Stepford Wives."

All wives are thin, attractive, active blond - blue eyed PTO'ers ( I have nothing against them, I was one too.) whose sole uniform is tennis whites all year round. The women do not work and are activelly involved in the schools and tennis and paddle clubs. Most have 3.7 children and a golden retreiver!! I kid not!!

This cloning is especially noticable during the community gatherings throughout the year, 4th of July, Octoberfest and school events. I stick out because I am fat, red-haired, green eyed, FAT, women with one child and the family does not attend the various churches in the area.

Because of my difference from them, I have been shunned and so has my daughter. We do not fit in and it is sad - I have heard the comments behind my back and to my face. My daughter has been the object of meanness. The girls especially are cruel as they are following their moms. At lunch, you will see girls whose lunches consist of Slim Fast shakes or just a salad. These are 11-13 girls. What is the message here?

I have had children come to me and ask when is the baby due? I am not pregnant.

This sadness has made my differences worse, because I would resort to food - food for comfort, food for sadness, food for sanity and food to cover the pain for me and my child. The sadder I became, the more food I would eat and the bigger I got, the sadder I was, the more food I would eat. A never-ending cycle.

I see similiar traits in my child and I want to help her. But, I think I need to help myself first in order to help her. Perhaps this is wrong. I am not sure.

There is more, but this covers the jist and hopefully when you read this, you will understand. Thanks