#9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 19:30

Plan: My own version of lo carb
Stats: 266/174.6/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxchamp
Hey all...I've been attempting a low carb diet for awhile, and I keep caving a few days in to carb cravings. So, I'm here to hopefully keep myself a bit more motivated. I'm not trying to lose a huge amount of weight; I'm doing it to help my Crohn's disease symptoms. I've gotten past the mental block that fat is bad for me, but i just need to get through the craving for sugar and chocolate!

Thanks for letting me rant haha! I'll be back to trying to avoid carbs starting tomorrow.

You are on the right track - go gluten free for Crohns as gluten is highly inflammatory and builds up over time in the GI, which is usually why people end up with Celiac's as well. A good GF whole grain cracker is Mary's Gone Crackers, which has flax and chia seed. Both have more Omega 3 than many fish. Omega 3 helps reduce Crohns symptoms. I just found a site you might like www.crohns.net
We use EVOO (with touch of turmeric for cooking - prevents oxidization) and coconut oil in our house exclusively and avoid Omega 6 hyrdrogenated oils for many reasons. We need the Omega 3s to keep his cholesterol numbers down, plus it is good for joint, heart and brain health.
Dr. Brenda Watson, a well known GI doctor recommends a quality probiotic/prebiotic/enzyme supplement for Crohns and other GI issues. She has a great book on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Road-Perfect-..._hu-rd_add_1_dp
My husband and I detox a couple times a year going gluten/dairy/soy/sugar/caffeine/vinegar free for 30 days at a time. We eat a low carb lifestyle in general every day in general, but GF takes more effort. We started on 1/4 and already have more energy, focus and the weight loss is the bonus. My husband had headaches for the first 3 days - mostly from coffee withdrawal. Before I did my first detox I had reduced my carbs by a greater percentage as time went on -not counting them, but limiting simple carbs to a couple times a week to one day a week in general. At first I craved, but after 2 weeks your brain will start to stop triggering those cravings - which is why we detox as it can take 2-3 wks for the sugar and carb cravings to cease. Once you get past it though you will feel SO MUCH better and it will be worth it! When I crave...I brew a decaf green tea. My brain says I don't want tea, but once I do it resolves my cravings because of the natural hunger curbing properties. it is definitely a mental battle - good luck!