View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 12:06
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

That was an interesting link UtahJake - thanks for sharing it with us. Here's an interesting tidbit from that link:

Quote:
As expected, there was a significant increase in muscle protein synthesis during recovery in the protein-only trial. The co-ingestion of carbohydrate with adequate protein did not further augment protein synthesis. These findings show protein as the most important nutrient to consume after resistance exercise, and further indicate that adding carbohydrates offers little benefit. This is good news if you are trying to lose body fat because it means you can get an optimal anabolic effect from protein alone without adding additional calories from carbohydrate and the accompanying insulin response that will inhibit fat breakdown.

from this page: http://www.nutritionexpress.com/art...x?articleid=938

I've been wondering about this stuff too, having just started a new weight-training regimen.

I make sure to get a fairly decent-sized breakfast after my weight training workouts - within a half or or so after the workout. It's usually some sausages or some meat of some kind, along with some avocado - since my trainer keeps yammering at me, "Potassium!".

I haven't ventured into the 'protein shakes' thing yet, but I do find a fairly high-protein meal after weight training seems to help a wee bit.

In terms of actual carbs - I've been experimenting with a small amount of carbs about an hour before weight training - something like 8 total carbs or something. Not sure if this is needed or not - but have been trying it out. I had some weird nausea once after a weight training session for legs, and was wanting to avoid this in the future. Sooo...occasionally having half a Larabar at 5:30 am on weight training mornings. I'm not recommending it, because these things can be overly carby, and somewhat addictive because of the 'sweet' factor.

In terms of something 'better' for post exercise - I'm always very surprised at just how high in protein chicken is, compared to other meats. Not sure if cold, cooked chicken leftovers are all that road friendly though.

Hmmm - awriter - I'm kind of curious - do you think the 'pre-workout' carbs would prevent that glycogen depletion effect you're mentioning? Or does one still need to re-fill the glycogen stores after the fact?