Old Sun, Mar-18-12, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: vegan lowcarb (self-made)
Stats: 178/172/160 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Well, IMHO, the most optimally nutritious diet is one that includes animal products

Diets that include animal products certainly can be optimally nutritious. So can vegan ones. It's not like there is only ONE type of diet that can lead to optimal health. Any optimally nutritious diet takes work, knowledge and commitment. Including low-carb, right? It's not like it wouldn't be easier to just say "f%$^ it!" and eat cake and cookies all day long. An optimally nutritious vegan diet does take more work and knowledge, but I am fine with that. The ethical ramifications of one's dietary choices should not be ignored. For me, I have very good reasons to have qualms about eating animal products, so I opt not to. I also want to be healthy, and that is totally possible. You just have to be smart about it.

Quote:
If it is for religious reason, fine, I'd never argue with that

No, it's for ethical reasons. And why does religion get a free pass? That doesn't make any sense.

Listen, I know a lot of low-carbers are anti-vegetarian, anti-vegan, anti-grain, etc etc etc. That's fine. Whatever. I didn't come here to change anyone's mind about anything. I just came to learn.

Quote:
if you believe you are being healthier by being vegan, well, you really are not.

I am aware that many vegans have cruddy diets. I allowed myself to slowly morph into one. Now I'm changing that. I'm getting healthier by eating a healthy diet.

If there is something that you think I'm getting too much or too little of (some macronutrient, vitamin, mineral etc.), I'm all ears. But unless you're talking about potassium or pantothenic acid (the two things that I still need to figure out how to get more of), I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I've done the math. I'm getting all the vitamins and minerals that I need and I'm getting my bodyfat percentage down to an optimal level (right now it's at an "acceptable" level, meaning that I'm already in pretty good shape).

Quote:
I hope you are at least supplementing with Vit B12?

If you would have taken the time to actually read what I wrote before commenting, you would know that I do indeed supplement B12 and that I am getting half the RDA from dietary sources.