#2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 21:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi Janis

Wow, haven't heard from anyone on Scarsdale in DECADES! Actually, I did Scarsdale, way back in the early 80's ... as I recall, it's a very low-calorie plan ... so technically it is lower in carbs ... but it's low in protein and way low in fat too.

Also, if memory serves ... Scarsdale is a short-term plan ... not a lifestyle change, as most low-carb programs are. The diet is meant to be followed for 2 weeks at a time. Technically, it's considered a fad diet, not something you could live with for the rest of your life.

I'm afraid the extreme low calories might slow your metabolism even further, setting you up for easy weight gain no matter WHAT you do. I'm tempted to suggest you add some fat to the Scarsdale menu in the form of 1 or 2 Tbsp fresh flax oil and/or x. virgin olive oil. These will add a few calories, yes, but zero carbs ... and some much needed essential fatty acids, which your body does not make, you can only get them from food. Scarsdale diet was developed long before scientists knew the importance of EFA's.

Doreen