View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 08:30

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Oh, the no tracking - I'd forgotten that freedom. Yeah, that is a really attractive feature, and like you, I loved the simplicity of not tracking.

I was afraid you might mention the "healthy fats" part of SBD, which I still believed when I started SBD in 2004, but have since learned has no foundation in reality.

One of the things I found a little perplexing is that in the text Agatson talks about eating proportionately more fat, yet in the recipes there is an attempt to keep fat lower. When I was faced with a decision of low fat vs regular cheese, for example, I went with the Real Cheese (full fat) and it worked well for me. I tried the egg beaters once, ugh, from then on used real eggs. Same with the fake half and half. I think the most important part of SBD is the reduction in grains and sugars, and that is where the bulk of the health benefits will come from.

I will also mention that when I started SBD my LDL and total cholesterol plummeted (240 to 150ish). Trigs had always been pretty low (<100) and HDL remained 50-60. When I began to eat more saturated fat, my total cholesterol stayed low (180) and HDL rose to the 90s. I don't know if that is a part of the puzzle for you, but I was really struck that it took MORE fat, and saturated fat, to raise HDL.

And I don't remember if SBD emphasizes the need for more salt when eating fewer carbs. I'd supplement with a tsp or two of salt or a couple of cups of full sodium broth while in phase 1 to keep from feeling "Atkins flu".

Anyway, hope it goes well for you and I think there are a number of us here that have done SBD so don't hesitate to post questions. Someone will see them and respond.