View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-14, 10:20

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I lost 50 pounds (3.6 stones) in 2000 and have kept it off since then - usually under 20 carps per day.

You mentioned arthritis. I cured mine with two different things (well 99% cured anyway).

The first was the Arthritis/Bursitis diet. Before the diet I couldn't walk 2 city blocks without sitting down, and I couldn't drive the car without an ice pack behind my hip (it hurt to press the gas pedal).

The diet brought the pain from terrible to mild.

Then I discovered Pulsed ElectroMagnetic Field Therapy (PEMFT). Now I go weeks without even remembering that I had arthritis, and then I might get a mild sensation (not even an ache) where the pain in my hip or hands used to be and then more weeks without a sensation.

Try the diet first and if that doesn't work, and your interested, I'll tell you about the PEMFT (it's probably more than I should post in this thread because it would be hijacking). Either PM me or if there are others interested, I'll start a PEMFT thread. I did a lot of research before I separated the good from the ineffective.

But the diet fits fine in the thread (I think) which I got from a doctor:
For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats)
* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Egg yolks (high in arachidonic acid) [my addition: fowl is even higher in AA than egg yolks]
* Pasta (high glycemic index)
* Juices (high glycemic index)
* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye or whole wheat)
* Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
* Oatmeal
* Fresh fruits and vegetables
* Olives and olive oil
* Peanuts and other nuts
* Whey proteins

The biggie for me was egg yolks. I was eating 4 or 5 eggs per day, it was my favorite low carb meal. I ate a lot of chicken too until I found out how much arachidonic acid was in fowl.

Now I eat a lot of lean beef, pork, fish, and nuts for protein.

My neighbor who used to walk with a cane got off the cane in less than 2 months. My DW is pain free too.

Bob