#16   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 10:35

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I don't really know which plans those ladies at Refuse to Regain used to lose their weight. But from reading some of it and seeing how much exercise they say they do, I tend to think that they do low fat, high carb plans. But I don't really know.
According to Lynn Haraldson Bering's blog, she lost her weight with WW, but I haven’t been able to find any mention of how Dr. Barbara Berkeley lost her weight.

However, I am currently reading Dr Berkeley's book Refuse to Regain - 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You've Earned, and her recommendation for eating for weight maintenance is to follow the 'ancient diet' and become, what she calls, a Primarian eater. It is her take on the Paleolithic Hunter-Gatherer diet.

Quote:
The strategy that I advocate derives from a most basic principle: eat what nature intended you to eat and nothing else. I call this diet a "Primarian" eating plan, meaning a diet consisting mostly of the primary or original foods our ancient ancestors consumed.
  • Primarian foods are the original, simple foods of our planet. They include lean animal products, vegetables, fruits, eggs, fish, nuts, seeds and berries.
  • Our genetic makeup is designed to eat the foods that humans ate for millions of years.
  • We are poorly designed to eat modern, altered foods.
  • In addition to minimizing altered foods, POWs should also avoid grains and other Newcomer starches.

POW = Previously Overweight
Altered Foods: Foods of the past 100 years which are changed, added to or otherwise manipulated
Newcomer Foods: Foods introduced with the advent of agriculture, about 10,000 years ago
Primary Foods: Foods that come mostly unchanged from nature and could have been eaten by ancient man

From Refuse to Regain - 12 Tough Rules to Maintain the Body You've Earned by Dr Barbara Berkeley
On top of the primary foods listed, she also includes some 'newer' foods in the form of low-fat/non-fat diary, selected oils (olive, canola, avocado, flaxseed or walnut, NO vegetable oils), non-starchy legumes, occasional alcohol and acceptable treats (i.e., SF jello, LF frozen yoghurt). These foods are allowed because they do not appear to cause weight gain or cravings when consumed reasonably.

Foods to be avoided are grains, corn (incl. popcorn), cereals, products made from flour, rice, potatoes, sugar, honey, juices, sweets, pasta and sweetened drinks. There are other no-no's such as no hot dogs, deli meats, 'heart-healthy' margarines, trans fats.

Obviously, there's quite a lot more about it in the book, but it does give you some idea of where she is coming from.
Sponsored Links