Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 04:11
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I must be in the minority. My cravings were REDUCED by low-carb, but not eliminated.

Interesting that you bring this up. (And here I thought I was the only one!) I never had much trouble with cravings anyway, except at the usual "hormonal" times, but I did have hunger problems each and every time I tried to drop weight with a low fat diet. My body simply complains big time when I want to take some fat off.

I have to be on extremely strict Atkins (<30 carbs/day) in order to suppress hunger, and that level of carbs has nasty side effects for me--the dreaded "keto headache," lethargy, and sometimes even nausea. As soon as I get above 50 carbs/day, I feel much better, but the hunger comes back.

When I started intense exercise, I discovered that I had to go all the way to 100 or even 150 carbs/day in order not to become totally exhausted at the gym, and to avert a feeling of being generally depleted.

I don't think carbs are necessary for survival, but a controlled amount of the right carbs sure helps my quality of life, and my performance in the gym.