View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-07, 17:41

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

My goal is at least 100 grams each day. I average 135. Protein, in my opinion, is very important and only a problem for a few with certain diseases/conditions. If you are insulin dependent you may have to watch your protein intake, and liver disease (late stages only, protein doesn't cause liver disease, but a damaged liver cannot remove the ammonia that is a result of protein metabolism) and kidney disease (for at least 15 years I've been seeing articles that question this too) are also cause for watching protein intake...otherwise eat as much as you want!

The dangers of an inadequate intake is far worse than eating too much! And having a higher intake may just save your life. High intake means higher albumin blood levels, which means a better survival of a serious injury or illness! Also, the older you get, the more important the albumin level becomes.

I'm not sure where protein got to be a bad guy, but the "conventional wisdom" is that we need a lower intake, but in the past protein was encouraged! I grew up hearing that I had to "get my protein" at mealtimes. Today, however, "excess" protein is felt to be a bad thing.

For someone my age, I should only get about 45grams of protein a day....that is way too low! I often get that in 1 meal! This is the reason, I think, that Atkins is often referred to as "high protein"...because compared to the recommendations of experts, it is!

I eat my protein, and get the fat that goes with it. I get almost all carbs from fruits and vegetables, with a little from dairy and nuts most days. So far I've never gone over 200 grams in a da, but I've come close.