View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 07:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Low FT3 can be caused by anorexia, actually I think just plain old dieting can do it or make it worse. I think there were a couple of other causes but they're not popping into my head just yet. Oh yes, there's a syndrome where seriously ill people, like in the hospital, don't properly convert T4 to T3. Probably it is the bodies mechanism to slow down the metabolism when it is stressed. But frankly, the state of knowledge about thyroid is deplorable. I think 50 years ago, they treated people correctly for thyroid, but they've since changed how they treat it now and really screwed it up. Its a case of them believing they know how to treat it, but they really don't. Unfortunately most doctors don't listen to their patients and are unwilling to learn from their patients.

You definitely need to find a different doctor, one that understands the importance of FT3/FT4 numbers, not one hidebound by TSH. Have you looked over the FAQ? It might help explain some of the mechanics and perhaps can give you some pointers on finding a doctor in your area that will prescribe T3 (hopefully natural thyroid).

You could try to educate your doctor, bring him rafts of articles and so on, but most are not receptive to that. Probably the best thing to do is to try to find a thyroid advocacy group that operates in your area and see if they can recommend a doctor. Or, if you make a trip back to the states we can probably find a doctor for you to see.