View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-17, 09:14

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Gluten-free foods often have less dietary fiber and other micronutrients, making them less nutritious...

Dietary fiber is not a micronutrient. In fact, it provides exactly zero nutrition because we cannot digest it. In fact, that's the sole reason it's claimed to be beneficial.
Quote:
Micronutrients are dietary components such as vitamins and minerals.

And what kind of vitamin or mineral is dietary fiber, hm?
Quote:
thirty years of follow-up

Thirty years ago, I knew exactly nothing about diet or health, let alone gluten. I was 18, never heard of gluten or celiac or anything like that. I find it very unlikely that anybody else would have known anything about gluten back then either. A thirty-year follow-up of ignorance is meaningless.

If we want to hypothesize an alternative explanation, it's the gluten-free vs whole grains. There's tons more whole-anything than gluten-free crap. The idea of whole-anything being more healthy than refined is much much stronger and prevalent than any idea about gluten. Ergo, any effect can be explained by the tendency to adopt a multitude of genuinely better choices non-diet when choosing whole-anything in diet, vs when choosing gluten-free.

The 13 percent figure is relative, not absolute. The absolute figure is closer to 0.1%, a quantity that is easily explained by even the most benign mistake.