#12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-17, 16:45

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I prefer to think that whatever causes obesity, also causes knee cartilage degeneration. But then, if there is knee cartilage degeneration, excess weight will excerbate the problem, i.e. lifting heavy stuff (or one's own excess fat tissue) for example. Ironically, the best Olympic lifters are all pretty much overweight if not outright obese. It's ironic because that excess weight serves to lift heavier through some mass transfer (or some other term I can't quite think of) like a pendulum or counterweight, i.e. throw this mass this way to get that mass to go that way. This principle is also used for the disc and hammer throw.

An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkGFAZK-7zM

It seems the implication is that the excess weight (over time) is the cause of knee cartilage denegeration (over time). There's scant data on that, but plenty on plain injuries like impacts for example. One text I found claims that Olympic lifting has a very safe record in terms of injury. If we believe that, then we have to wonder why we also believe obesity could cause knee cartilage degeneration. Consider that Olympic lifters practice endless hours with heavy weights. This extensive practice means likelihood of injury (from a lack of skill) goes as low as it can, hence the sport's safety record. With obesity, we live with this excess weight 24/7/365, evidently that's a whole lot of practice. So why the knee cartilage degeneration? It's not the weight, it's certainly not a lack of skill, must be something else.

So it's not necessarily weight related, not necessarily exacerbated by exercise.

But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I can't talk about knees. I have no problem with them but I can talk about my fingers. At age 55 I started noticing signs of arthritis in my fingers. Over the course of time my finger joints became painful and somewhat deformed. The deformation still exists although it is in no way severe and it is not increasing, plus the pain is entirely gone. I credit a low carb diet for this. In two weeks I will turn 69. I do nothing to explicitly exercise my fingers so diet alone must be given the credit. I too suspect that obesity and knee degeneration may have the same cause. I also suspect that osteoarthritis of my finger joints had the same cause as my former obesity. Sometimes I think that all these "scientists" are intentionally avoiding the elephant in the room. Remove the infllamatory foods from the diet (processed high carbs and highly processed vegetable oils) and lots of problems go away or so I believe.

Jean

If it's diet related, especially if it's due to inflammatory foods in the diet, how exactly are the above mentioned Olympic athletes avoiding the inflammatory foods mentioned above? Because you know that the olympic food sponsor supported training tables are being provided with all kinds of processed carbs, and vegetable oil laden foods, since those are supposedly healthy and provide the energy that Olympic athletes need while training.

~~~~~~~~

How much is truly related to weight, exercise, and diet?

I suspect it's very much a YMMV thing, and can change, depending on genetic tendency to develop knee (or any joint) problems, age (if you're over 60, chances are you're going to start noticing some differences in your joints from when you were in your 20's), how overweight you were, how long you were overweight, and how much of your excess weight you managed to lose.