View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 11:02

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I'm up from my goal weight for several reasons. Strength training with the goal to gain muscle. A new medication. Switching from keto to just low-carb. More lax logging of food. In total I am just over 15lb more than my goal weight. I've been trying unsuccessfully for almost a year to get back down to at least 158 (8lb over goal weight). Working out makes me very hungry. And I can't do anything about the necessary med. My measurements are still good, muscle definition is good, and my clothes still fit. So I'll keep trying to get the 7lb I absolutely can't live with.

As far as I can tell, this isn't all that uncommon. The body decides that it doesn't like your choice of goal weight for some people. It feels healthier higher and will fight you tooth and claw.

There is a thing called adaptive thermogenesis, here's the link to a study on it. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/

The last sentence of the abstract says: "Important inferences can be drawn for therapeutic strategies by recognizing obesity as a disease in which the human body actively opposes the “cure” over long periods of time beyond the initial resolution of symptomatology."

Here is a journal entry by someone on MFP that does a good job of explaining this annoying phenomenon. It happens when you diet for a long time and it happens after you've stopped losing.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Ev...ght-loss-567546

The best thing to do if you think you have not changed anything is to check for sure you haven't accidentally loosened logging or haven't accidentally decreased exercise or non-exercise movement. Or you aren't accidentally creeping up on portions or carb counts without realizing it. When we get down to goal weight, our calorie needs have so decreased, that we have little fudge room.

Or alternately, you've had a hormone balance change that is causing you to retain more water or which is changing your energy balance needs.

I know I don't log as well. The workouts make me danged hungry. So I'm driven by leptin imbalance to eat more, which is counter-productive to me getting back closer to my goal weight again. It's something I will have to figure out.

I hope some of that blather helped.