View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jan-01-18, 11:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There's skipping breakfast intentionally, and then there's skipping breakfast due to late night snacking making for less appetite early in the morning. So, there might be an association for skipping breakfast and heart disease, the question of why is sort of up in the air.

For the gallbladder thing, very low fat dieting seems to be a risk. Searching for starvation or intermittent fasting with gallstones gave me nothing relevant, gallstones with fasting gave this;

Quote:
A prospective study of hospitalization with gallstone disease among women: role of dietary factors, fasting period, and dieting.
Sichieri R1, Everhart JE, Roth H.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Dietary risk factors for the development of gallstones have not been clearly established. We analyzed data from a population-based prospective study to determine dietary risk factors for hospitalization with gallstone disease.

METHODS:
We evaluated the role of dietary constituents, fasting, and dieting on subsequent hospitalization with gallstone disease among 4,730 women, ages 25 to 74 years, who participated in the first follow-up of the first National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Baseline dietary variables were established through a 24-hour dietary recall and a medical history. Proportional hazards models were used to calculate the effects of dietary variables while controlling for baseline risk factors.

RESULTS:
After an average of 10 years follow-up, gallstone disease was confirmed by hospital records among 216 women who denied gallstone disease at the baseline examination. The hazard rate of hospitalization with gallstone disease increased with increasing overnight fasting period and with dieting. Intake of fiber showed a small protective effect. The effect of energy intake was significant only among women younger than age 50 years at baseline. Results were not affected by adjustment for known risk factors for gallstone disease or other dietary factors.

CONCLUSION:
A long overnight fasting period, dieting, and low fiber intake may increase the risk of hospitalization with gallstone disease.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1405175/

This is unlikely to be the sort of intentional fasting we want to talk about, and more along the lines of people who skip breakfast because they aren't hungry--overate the night before? or intentionally, to make up for overeating the night before? Or are they not hungry because fasting is just a little bit easier for somebody who's overweight, than it is for a leaner person? If this is the sort of data he's working from, he needs something better. In the case of the 16 hour fast especially, I refuse to casually accept the idea that if I eat breakfast at 9, finish supper at 5, and then stop eating, that this does much to increase my risk of developing gallstones. That's an extraordinary claim.