View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-09-17, 12:55

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I brought this article over, not because it talked about colorectol cancer, and that they can't figure out why there's a difference between racial incidence, since it doesn't seem to be related to obesity, even though that's an interesting observation, because we're told that pretty much all health problems are caused by obesity, especially cancer.

No - I brought it over because of what's NOT mentioned in this article, what's not even alluded to in this article... the possible differences in DIET between the two races.

Working in a grocery store, I see on a daily basis what types of foods people buy. What they buy is what they tend to eat, because most people don't waste their hard earned money continually buying food they won't eat. There are some things that it seems almost everyone buys - for instance, it always seems like almost everyone buys the store-made donuts, even if everything else they buy is organic, fat free, gluten free, lactose free, or whole grain. There are customers who stop by every single morning on their way to work to buy a small green salad and packet of fat free dressing, or a Lean Cuisine to take for lunch... and a donut or two, apparently to eat for breakfast, because of course they're best right out of the fryer, at that time of day.

So when I now say that I've observed one race tends to buy more of one type of food than the other race, please note that this is not a political statement of any kind. Nor is this is any kind of racial profiling, or prejudice. It's not even 100% true of everyone of a particular race, nor is it true for most of a particular race. It is merely an observation, based on years of dealing with customers from all kinds of races, nationalities, and backgrounds, and seeing what's in their grocery carts every week.

What I've noticed is that there's a lot more white than black customers who are apparently making fruits, vegetables (especially leafy greens), and hearthealthywholegrains the mainstay of their diets. If a customer appears to be a vegetarian or vegan (based on purchases of processed non-meat protein sources, such as Quorn, veggie burgers, tofu, seitan, tempeh, or other non-meat substitutes), that customer is more likely to be white than black.

This is all purely casual observation, but one that makes me wonder about a possible relation of dietary fiber content to differing rates of colon cancer incidences between the races, especially in light of what Dr Eades wrote some time back about the way that consuming a lot of fiber damages the colon. (That's not really the article I was thinking about, but still explains it. The one I was thinking of was called something on the order of "A cautionary tale of mucous, fore and aft", but maybe he changed the title of it.)

I suspect that even if it's not just something I've observed at work, that scientists will be a long time even considering the possibility of any connection between a high fiber diet and higher rates of colon cancer, especially since they currently consider a high fiber diet to be protective against colon cancer.