Old Mon, Dec-05-05, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Neanderthin
Stats: 244/198/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdawnfad
You can't totally eliminate food groups.... have you heard of Rickets Scurvy and Beriberi? Those are diseases of certain vitamin defficiencies primarily found in fruit....

I am glad that you found what works for you. But people who need to be on a low-carb plan can do just fine without fruit. The overabundance of sugar in fruit can provoke symptoms, not to mention weight gain, in many women.

Rickets is a deficiency of vitamin D. Luckily fish, liver, eggs, and cheese are good sources of vitamin D.

Scurvy is a deficiency of vitamin C. Low-carbers can eat tomatoes, leafy green vegetables (plus many other vegetables including onions), shellfish, and liver to get plenty of vitamin C.

Beriberi is a deficiency of vitamin B1. People can eat beans, meat, and most vegetables to get this.

So fruit is a convenient way to get a few vitamins, but by no means is it necessary or even superior. For people who are very IR, the huge amount of sugar in most fruit cancels out any benefits of the vitamins, especially considering that the vitamins can be obtained from many other foods. I prefer a good-sized helping of broccoli to an orange, which has more vitamin C than the orange, and more additional nutrients besides.

Check Fitday. One large stalk of broccoli has 348% of the RDA for vitamin C. One cup of raw orange has 160%.

An orange has only 5% RDA of vitamin B-6, while broccoli has 20%. Also, an orange only has 1.69 grams of protein, while broccoli has 8.34 grams. I might also add that these values are based on boiled broccoli, which actually has less nutrients than broccoli eaten raw.
Sponsored Links