#37   ^
Old Sat, Sep-18-04, 21:26
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

cbcd
I'm definitely a sun person!!! I'm not a night owl at all!!! I can sit in the sun forever just soaking it up!!! I'm a light skinned African American and I tan beautifully. Funnily enough, the research shows that peoples of African descent and Northern Europeans both have natural vitamin D deficiencies.

It's kinda weird. I'm now going to work in the dark and after upping my vitamin D dose for a few days I actually started enjoying the dark before dawn, lol!!! That is so NOT me!!!

I take vitamin D from fish oils as softgels. Each contains 400 IU of vitamin D and 600 IU vitamin A. Vitamin A has also been found not toxic when taken with vitamin D. I take 6,000 mg per day in five divided doses. I posted a lot of this information in my journal. You can also take cod liver oil.

For those of African or Northern European descent or those with SAD or depression you go a little higher than the suggested dose. The suggested dose of each is as follows:

1 tsp. cod liver oil per 50 pounds of body weight.
800-1000 IUs of vitamin D per 50 pounds of body weight.

It's generally suggested that people should be getting a minimum of 3,000 IU of vitamin D a day from all sources (food, sun, supplements).

There is also a test you can have your doctor order to see if you are vitamin D deficient. That info is in my journal also.

I am totally off anti depression medication and am only taking vitamin D for my SAD and winter depression (I do take a lot of other supplements).