View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 22:05
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Cleve--not knowing if tanning beds would help, I went to one of my favorite books Winter Blues by Norman E. Rosenthal.

In the Q&A section there is a small blurb on tanning beds. He says that some people have reported immediate mood improvement following visits to tanning salons. There is a study by Dr. Steven R. Feldman and colleagues at Wake Forest University/Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina theat lends credence to the reports that some poeple find relief with tanning beds. UV rays from the tanning beds can cause certain skin cells to release the substance beta-endorphin, an opiun-like substance that may account for UV light's euphoric effect. Dr. Feldman recommends against taning beds because of the potential for those types of rays to cause skin cancers. I have to agree with Dr. Feldman and the use of tanning beds--every one who I've ever seen who uses a tanning bed regularly , their skin looks old and haggy. Even the young people.

You can try it and see if it works for you--just be careful of your skin.

Besides adequate Vit D, are you taking any other supplements?

I take...
Vit D
Sam-E
5-HTP
Omega 3s
Super B complex
Evening Primrose Oil
CoQ10
Cinnamon with chromium

I also take bio-identical hormone replacement and Wellbutrin (the only medication on the market approved by the FDA for SAD)

I am a faithful usere of light therapy daily.

I always take a winter beach vacation.

I have to say...it's November and symptoms haven't yet set in. I'm kind of waiting with bated breath to start becoming symptomatic. We'll see.

If you can, I highly reccomend that you get a copy of Dr. Rosenthals book.

Lisa