Old Thu, Feb-16-12, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default "Sexy Forever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yes, it is a very individual thing. While I don't follow every aspect of the way the nutritionists want people to follow SBD, I think that the way I follow it works for me.
Here are a few of the things that I do to modify it:
*I count cheese as those who follow Atkins do and not an unlimited source of protein as the SBD books says to do. I allow myself 2-3 ozs a day, maximum.
* I don't eat whole wheat or much of any other wheat or grain flour products. Pizza and pasta are a thing of my past life.
*While I don't go looking to increase my fats, I don't drink heavy cream nor do I buy the fattiest cuts of beef. I do some sat fats and include avocadoes in my day.

The Meal Plan Guide is the best tool on the SBD. It literally taught me how to eat this way with portion control. As far as I'm concerned, learning portion control has been a huge aspect to my long term success. Its located in the weighin thread with the food lists.

For those of you that regained weight after losing it on SBD, perhaps you didn't find a way to eat that truly worked for you. I have done that by combining apsects of Atkins into mine. Every day, as I eat my keep a mental count of how many servings of starch and fruit( 2-3 of each) I eat. I do not count carbs, per se.

Hi Judy! You are very inspiring - especially to someone just starting out on their weight-loss journey! I'm just wondering if you've ever read Suzanne Somers' book "Sexy Forver"? I just finished reading it. Her weight loss/eating plan sounds like it very closely mirrors your adapted SBD/Atkins plan. She recommends the first 30 days be sugar/carb/starch free in kind-of a detox phase, but as you move into later phases of weight loss and maintenance you can very slowly add back 2-3 servings of carbs (mostly in the form of fruit), with some healthy fats, protein, and lots of veg. She recommends you say goodbye to pizzas and pastas, allowing the occasional good quality whole-grain bread if your body can tolerate it, and even okays potatoes on a VERY infrequent basis (ie. she says a couple of times per YEAR), again, if your body seems to be able to process it without spiking cravings and digestive issues.

After reading this book I'm more open-minded to someday re-introducing some carbs once I reach the maintenance phases of my journey, and have to say that your experience re-affirms that feeling. Since starting this I've been treating all the foods I can't have as "POISON" mostly to avoid cheating and cravings, and that is in turn affecting my ability to accept someday consuming them again. Needless to say, I have a strange emotional relationship with my food. Regardless of that, Somers' logic makes sense to me, and I feel like, through reading it, I've been given an arsenal of more things to experiment with should I encounter a stall.