View Single Post
  #775   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 20:15

Plan: Evolutionary
Stats: 180/190/170 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

Bear,

I have read this entire thread and am very intrigued by your way of eating, and I have a couple questions for you that have not in fact been covered on this forum.

1. Acid/Base Balance - I'm surprised that this topic has not been addressed. There is a supposed (I say "supposed" as there is some contention regarding this) acid/base balance that your body must maintain, preferring a base pH. Different foods yield different pH readings, either putting an acid or a base effect on your kidneys, and supposedly ill effects, such as calcium depletion can result if there is too much of an acid load on your body. Meats, eggs, and cheese are high acid-yielding, while vegetable and fruits are high base-yielding. Here is a link supporting this:
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutriti...ools/acid.shtml
(Note: I'm not necessarily promoting "The Paleo Diet"; it was just a handy resource for this information.)
Have you heard of this before, and what do you think about it?

2. I'm a college student in Pittsburgh, living on a tight budget and forced to eat campus food most of the time. I have been eating as close to a Paleolithic-style of eating as possible, but most of the time I have to eat cheeseburgers (no bun of course) and deli meats. Once in a while, I can get some roast beef or chicken thighs from the cafeteria, but not usually. It sounds to me like in order to follow your eating plan, you really need to have access to lightly cooked red meat, which I really don't have access to. What would you recommend in my case? How could I get those lost nutrients, if not from vegetables?

Thanks for the information.