View Single Post
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-02, 19:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/155/120
BF:
Progress: 30%

I know what it's like to rationalize insane behavior. I did it for years! If I could convince just one other person that my smoking wasn't hurting me, maybe I could believe it myself. Fact is the idea of the pain in trying to quit, and failing one more time, was unbearable and more troublesome to me in my sick mind than actually doing the action.

I had the priviledge of witnessing a close friend die from lung cancer this last summer. It was affirmation to me that I'd rather be overweight than out of control. The man had legs the size of tree trunks. He lost a considerable amount of weight, particularly muscle mass, when he did three rounds of chemo and stereographic radiation in about 18 months. His wife lost a great deal of weight from stress and worry. Soon after his last treatment he was hospitalized for about three days before he died. The lung cancer had so ravaged his muscle tissue that his once strong legs could no longer support his body weight. So, in essence, you are totally right and have a lot to look forward to if you think that smoking is going to keep the weight off. It will do that and a lot more for you and your loved ones -- permanently.

To the rest of you that have offered your ongoing support, I thank you. I have lost 10 pounds and four dress sizes. I will remain on induction a little while longer before going to the OWL portion of Dr. Atkins program. This is the only food program that has worked for me, and I know the power of support networks and forums such as these.

I am very energized and am feeling better than I have in years! Doing weight training every other day and yoga every day that I am able to. Life is grand and everyone has something to offer, even the negative people that are caught up in their addictions. But for the Grace of God, there go I.

Peace to all!