#10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-11, 11:26

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
This is a misapplication of the classical laws of thermodynamics, which apply only to closed, inorganic systems. The apply to some unknown extent to open, biological systems. Due to the actions of genetics, epigenetics, and hormones, it is possible to create a caloric deficit and not lose weight. The experience of the Pima Indians is an example of this.

It is not a misapplication. It is impossible to retain weight if you are running a true calorie deficit. Biologically it just isn't so easy to run a calorie deficit as your body will slow your metabolism down accordingly. If your body is actually burning 3k calories a day and you are only eating 2 you will burn fat.

I mean, lets be sensible about this for a minute... We all agree that your body can not run off of zero energy (I hope)... Suggesting that your body will not lose weight on a calorie deficit not only suggests that it can run off of zero energy but that it is also capable of creating energy from nothing.

Also, I am a stone mason. My days involve 10-12 hours of constant aerobic and anaerobic exercise. I've had a fitness trainer and an ex-marine come out, the work was too hard for both. The fitness trainer quit after 3 days and the ex-marine 1 week.

My body at least has little trouble meeting my extremely intense energy requirements for long durations while in ketosis, I can't speak for others though. I hit no brick wall, although I do build them lol.

I should note that if I am not really careful about eating <20 grams of carbs per day I will get tired while working... Actually it presents itself in the form of dizziness and loss-of-balance after doing hard work for 20 minutes or so. I think that being in "really heavy ketosis" provides my body with as much energy as it needs. If I step up to even 30 grams a day I will start getting dizzy at work.