View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-16, 09:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

This is an old thread. But, reading the narratives, I noticed that, if one enters menopause already well keto-adapted, as Lynne did, then the hot flashes are controlled.

But if one is actively losing, they are exacerbated, as the stored estrogen from the fat cells enters the system, further disrupting the already uneven flow of estrogen that characterizes menopause.

I am well past menopause. I went through it early, and was nearly done by the time I was 51.

Bio identical hormones helped, especially when I added a wild yam/progesterone cream.

The worst hot flashes EVER were when I contracted a viral infection in my thyroid. I'd be beet red, sweating and miserable for an hour at a time.

Today, though, even though I'm losing, I haven't had an issue. My guess is that, because i was already post menopausal for a LONG time, my fat cells just didn't have that much stored estrogen in the first place.

For any women of any stage of life, from young to post menopausal, ask yourself this: is it worth experiencing hot flashes, to balance out the hormones in your body? Hot flashes are a symptom, not a disease. And they are a symptom of estrogen imbalance. The fact that they occur as the fat cells are emptying signifies that there was TOO MUCH estrogen stored there.

For me, hot flashes were no.fun. But they were not painful, just a pain in the butt. And knowing that they're leading to better balance in our bodies' biochemistry could be exciting enough to offset that pain in the butt.