View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-14, 05:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Outstanding. Even the picky SO called it a 'keeper'.

I almost posted a separate thread because I did make a few changes: I added a chopped bell pepper, only used one can of Rotels, tossed in a chili pepper from my garden, added half a can of tomato paste just to use it up, and I'm not even sure how much chicken broth I put in - I used homemade and just threw it all in. But this is one of those soups that you could vary the ingredients and it'll still taste awesome.

I just realized I had tomato/beef broth in the freezer and I should have used that! I'll try that next time.

Ally, it should work in the crockpot, but I find anything in the crockpot is going to be way more liquidy than stovetop. I actually let this soup simmer on the stovetop for half an hour or so for it to thicken before I added the cream and cream cheese. I would cut down or maybe even eliminate the chicken broth if you do it in the crock pot. Add some at the end if you think it needs thinned out.

You also lose the sauteed flavour of the onions and beef, but my soups and chili still come out nicely. Just a bit different. Sometimes I prefer it that way - the beef has a smooth texture and it's more tender.