Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 22:24
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
Common error in understanding: body size rules the overall rate of metabolism/longevity- such as between a mouse versus a large rat, etc. NOT between same-sized carnivores vs herbivores... i.e.: The common domestic tabby lives to 24, but a rabbit, which is the exact same size, lives only to ~6 (in captivity- and far shorter in the wild).

A) that is not what you stated. You made a broad general statement about carnivores versus herbivores. B) the average life span of:

Cats:
Wild - 12-15 years (African variety)
Domestic - 15-20 years

Rabbits:
Wild - 2-4 years, probably due to being eaten
Domestic - 5-10 years (potential life span, 15 years)

Quote:
Identical comparisons can be made between the longevity of the big cats and similar-sized herbivores- with the same results.

Tiger - 10-15 years.
size-depends on subspecies and sex. Male tigers range from around 220-670 pounds.

Herbivore at the low end of the tiger range:
Topi Antelope-15 years

Herbivore at the high end of the tiger range:
Grevy's zebra-10-25 years

Quote:
Do I detect a 'grasping for straws', or is it a simply a case of ingrained contrariness, leading to a need to contradict everything not part of one's own belief structures? Seems the case. Not to worry- relax, I have done my homework very thoroughly.

More the second than the first. Yes, I am contrary when I see things stated that are just not true or presented in a misleading manner. Since I know a little bit about some things you talk about and see where you have misstated something, it makes me question other things you say that I don't know anything about. I still don't know what belief systems you think I have or am trying in some way to defend. Since you don't know me, you have no idea what I believe.

Quote:
We can discount the last, the pub article. The second shows size/metabolism, which is established. The first is invalid off the line, since it compares a chicken and an elephant, and metabolism as well as body-design differences impinging on metabolism (especially the lungs) in birds are radically different from mammals. Birds are the last surviving dinosaurs.

Why discount it? It is just a list of lifespans that are easily verified if one wants to go through all the animals listed one at a time. I just thought it would be handy to see them combined in a table format. And yes, I did spot check several of those lifespans listed. I do my homework, too.

You are right. Birds are way different in both form and structure. However, it also compares a dove and a chicken. You need to read the whole thing.