#607   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 18:00

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Furthermore, many plants are less concentrated in energy, and many nutrient factors are higher calorie per calorie compared to meat source alternatives; for example, vitamin A and vitamin C. If your metabolic needs are lower, it is much harder to fall deficient in these nutrient factors if you are eating some veggies. Older people, smaller women, people losing lots of excess weight, and many others tend to slower metabolisms. Those people might not use enough energy to consume enough of all nutrient factors on an all animal diet.

Of course, I do agree with your assessment here. There can be no question that, in terms of calories vs. nutrient density, plant foods win this battle hands down. One of the appeals of veggies is that it is by far the densest nutrient to calorie food. I’ll be the first to admit that my “meat” based diet can never be construed as a low-calorie one by any stretch of the imagination; and, can appreciate where my higher calorie intake would pose significant challenges to weight equilibrium for one with a slower metabolism.

Quote:
Exercise does not hurt health, but lots of people hate it and realistically will not sustain a program for long (like myself). Weight gain is passive and requiring of no commitment or dedication, however, it is physically unhealthy, and likely would mitigate any increase in health from consuming more nutrition.

Again, I readily agree that vigorous exercise may not be for everyone, especially for those who are severely overweight where intense cardio may pose more of harm than benefit. However, for most people, I believe exercise to be extremely beneficial. Be that as it may, of course, I can both appreciate and empathize with the individual’s decision to maintain weight equilibrium by curtailing excess calories rather than increase energy output. After all, as a palate preference, I’m consciously making a decision to forgo any beneficial effects that may exist in plant foods.

Quote:
It is also possible that meat contains deleterious factors which are less or not present in plants. We simply do not yet know everything "good or bad" about food; therefore, eating a diet with as much variety as possible is the best way to avoid over or underconcentration of food factors, both good AND bad.

From all that I’ve read, it would not surprise me in the least that eschewing veggies may turn out to be less than “optimal” when all things are finally considered. We can infer from much of the research that veggies may very well contain certain nutrients, phytochemicals, flavonols, antioxidants, or a combination thereof that is extremely beneficial to overall health. If only as a hedge, there is considerable logic to your rationale that “if we don’t know, than it makes sense to cover our basis” by eating plant foods. On the other hand given that we can adequately and in abundance acquire all known necessary nutrients, the price (the bitter taste of veggies) isn’t commensurate with the promised benefits that may or may not exist.

Above and beyond all else, I believe in science and the scientific method. Should a day arise when science shows that eating veggies are beneficial (the veracity of it’s proposed benefits proven), I will “suck it up” plaster my veggies with cheese drowning them up a gallon of butter and eat them.

Quote:
I must agree with you, Frederick, that this thread has lead me to conclude that veggies are not essential.

Woo, this is what I’ve gotten most from this thread. It just seems that over the years, the phrase “eating your veggies” has become such a fixture in our society that no one ever questions the merits of the statement. I see it brandied about far too often. You’d think eating veggies were some kind of miracle cure for any kind of ailment that might exist. I’m just thankful to have been a small part of a thread that makes an effort to examine that unchallenged notion a little more closely.

Of course, to breath a sign of relief that, at least for the moment, I can eschew veggies without suffering nutrient deficiency.