#21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-20-04, 12:57

Plan: Primal
Stats: 173/135/132 Female 160 cm
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily
...[book] about menopause (Sex, Lies, and Menopause) which is on my list to read. I am 52 and just started menopause with a bang this year. A friend who read it already told me Wiley believes we should not have menopause, that it is unnatural, animals don't cease to be capable of reproduction so we shouldn't either. Hmmm. I think the cavewomen were like us in this respect, and didn't take any hormones for it either.

Daylily

Hi Daylily - I'm not so sure about the menopause thing, I remember reading somewhere that female lions also go through something like it. (A Google search for "lion menopause" turned up a few amusing hits, including "Menopause the Musical"... ?! ).

Evolutionarily, it seems that females of most mammal species, including humans, have menopause for one reason: so we can finish raising the last of our young to maturity before we fall apart and die. Cheery, no?

I definitely agree about the hormones though. That seems very much a case of modern doctors deciding to mess about with something we don't truly understand. (For once I'm glad to be a little bit younger, and let all the baby boomers go first...)