#10   ^
Old Wed, May-20-09, 08:43

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Coconut oil is higher in saturated fat than anything - even tallow. Saturated fat does raise your cholesterol. That's not necessarily a bad thing. It raises HDL and LDL together. Some evidence suggests that saturated fat does not raise VLDL. It does not raise triglycerides. High triglycerides are a stronger indicator of heart disease than low HDL, high LDL, or high total cholesterol.

Absolutely, plus I have read that on a LC diet there is also often a slight *rise* in total cholesterol at the very beginning, which then lowers after that, which I think is why it's often recommended that you not have your blood numbers tested until you have been on LC for at least 3 months.

But 20 points one way or the other is pretty insignificant, *especially* without our knowing what the HDL, LDL and triglycerides were for each of those tests also.

Coconut oil is beneficial for the heart. It contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. The saturated fats present in coconut oil are not harmful as it happens in case of other vegetables oils. It does not lead to increase in LDL levels. It also reduces the incidence of injury in arteries and therefore helps in preventing atherosclerosis.

I love my coconut oil.